Friday, November 14, 2008

Hardcore...

So today I run over to the gym at lunch to catch a quick spin class. Sad but true, my outdoor riding is probably going to be fairly limited the remainder of the year other than the weekend cross races and the occasional road trip to keep the mountain bikes from getting lonely during the winter. I digress... So I'm a little late getting to the gym, throw on my gym shorts and a shirt and head up to the spin room. By the end of last winter they were starting to show up, but I was caught off guard seeing them this early in the offseason.... Yes, I'm talking about the dude's that show up to spin class in a full on kit/uniform. Cycling shorts, matching jersey, socks, the whole shebang. One was in a legit local team kit, one was in a kit of his favorite pro team that you'd buy from Pearl Izumi. Being fairly new to the sport, I'm not sure if I'm not cool for not getting decked out... I mean, the seats on those spin bikes have plenty of cushion - not sure the chamois is necessary? Or if I'm the more legit guy for going low key in the same clothes I lift weights in - isn't wearing my cycling shoes enough? Maybe I'll try an experiment and put on a cycling kit to go spend an hour in the free weight area and do some squats... or some back arches on a medicine ball...

I'll do a post later on the guy from last winter who wore a kit to spin class, and then proceeded to pull energy foods out of his jersey pockets for the duration of the class.... That's hardcore!!

Cross race at Wheeler farm tomorrow morning. Sam's back and I'm calling it right now - he'll win this week.

No comments: